Giles Easterbrook, co-founder of Prima Facie Records, who sadly passed away on September 1st, 2021, composed music characterised by a ‘pronounced, sometimes astringent melodic gift’, ‘rhythmic subtlety’ and ‘an original, often unexpected harmonic sense’.
Giles’ 2010 CD 'The Moon Underwater' has been out of print for some time, and as a tribute to him, Prima Facie Records have decided to make the music from the CD available, free, for streaming and high-quality download.
You can listen to the album below, or on the Soundcloud website, where you can also download each piece in CD-quality audio.
You can also download the album as this Zip file of high-quality MP3s
Listeners may wish to make a donation to the family’s preferred charity, Oxfam – in memory of Giles.
The Moon Underwater
1. Aubade for St Francis – performed by Roger Montgomery, horn
2. Sad But True – performed by Caroline Balding, violin; Joseph Sanders, oboe
3. 25 Variations – performed by David Owen Norris, piano
4-8. In Passing – performed by Gemini
9. Out of the Purple – performed by Ian Mitchell, clarinet; Huw Watkins, piano
10. The Moon Underwater – performed by Trinity Brass and Percussion
Tracks 1, 3, 9 recorded at RNCM, 15/09/2009
Tracks 2, 4-8 recorded at Trinity College of Music, 01/09/2009
Track10 recorded at Blackheath Concert Halls, 23/10/2009